Tuesday, September 4, 2007

The Days are Blurring together

Well since Jay has been updating the blog I thought I would give my perspective. We have been here approx 11 days and they are starting to blur together. This week we have early visitation for the little guy so we get up early call the kids (on skype through the computer it only costs two cents a minute). Our breakfast has consisted of instant oatmeal and apples... we have dry cereal but the milk comes in box unrefrigerated and comes out light brown... not too appealing to me. We arrive at the baby house at 9:30 and little guy is usually in his room eating his snack. He runs up to greet us and we take him to the play room. While we visit him we change his clothes. I brought some 2T clothes with me which are a bit big... I did buy some outfits here. Kid’s clothes in Astana are expensive. Below is what I purchased (the shoes were on sale) and it cost $8800 tenge or about $70.00 U.S.




He seems to loves books, so we read to him, he flips the book over, and turns it around again... this could go on for some time. We also introduced him to coloring books. At first he did not know what to do with it, but he has caught on. Like most little boys he likes to break the crayons. We rotate the toys in his bag each day and introduce him to something new. The first few days were difficult as he was not engaging with us. I cannot image what was going in his little mind... these strange people come every day, bring fun toys, play with me, and leave. The last 2 days we have seen a change in him as he is more comfortable with us and has started to babble. We know he can talk but his conversation skills are very weak. In his group, which he is the youngest, the room is always very quiet except for crying or a few shrieks. I cannot wait to get him home so we can expose him to more books and work on getting him caught up.


He has been in the baby house since birth so he does not remember being in a car. So when a car goes by he gets really excited. I know at home it is easy to take for granted the simple things in life like cars, tap water that you can drink, public restrooms that you do not have to pay for, and living in a house. The weather here has finally started to cool down. Today it was in the 70’s which was relief since we do a lot of walking and with no cloud cover the 90 degrees were melting us over here. Even if it is 90 + degrees the culture here thinks all babies need hats on otherwise they would get colds. They bundle the kids up warmly in any kind of weather. Today we took little guy out and he had shorts on which they pretty much go down to his ankles with a coat and hat on.. And here the care giver brings a pair of sweat pants to put over the shorts. It is quite humorous but you go with the flow...


Today we went to the Kazakhstan historical Museum. It showed the History of Kazakhstan and we saw various artifact from all regions. It was like a museum back home except it was free to go in but you had to pay for each pictures you wanted to take. I thought that was kind of strange. The rebel in me took 3 pictures unbenost to the guards but we ended up paying for 2 so the cost was 400 tenge (3.50 American)



A Gift from France...behind it is information on all the economic development in the country


J & J in front of the Kazakhstan flag

A traditional yurt that was for wealthy families


Since In Kazakhstan I would post some of my First Experiences:
I saw my first accident after being here a week. It was the car right next to us... and let me tell you these folks have no fear when they drive.

I saw a hummer who could not make a U turn in the street so he decided to use the sidewalk where we were…

I ordered a meal at an American Hotel and received dressing on the side of my salad. I was so happy. If you know my eating habits you would understand.

We went out to lunch and paid more for water than the meal. If they have Evian on the menu I will drink peeva (beer) it is much cheaper.

I am sure with this journey I will be posting more of my firsts.



School started here on September 1st for the kids. The children in Astana dress up for school each day. The boys wear suits and the girls wear dresses with these fluffy white pony tail ribbons in their hair. They go to school 6 days a week and depending on their age it could be 8 hours each day. I bet the kids back home would not be happy about that.

The Kids are back in Michigan since having a holiday in Ohio for 1 ½ weeks. They are all excited about going to school. I am getting weepy not being there for the first day of school for them... Shelby starts high school, Hayden is in 5th and Zoe is in 1st. I think Zoe was the most excited to go. I kept asking them questions and reminding them of stuff and Shelby said Mom do not worry, you are ½ way around the world and we can manage. Being a mom you always worry even if you are so far away. Thanks for everyone helping out with the kids. I am especially proud of Shelby who is being the big sister and pitch hit when Mom & Dad are away.

Shortly we will post our son’s full picture with his name. Thanks for all your votes. We can clearly see there is a favorite in the running. Even though we have visited him less than 18 hours since we have been here, we are completely head over heels in love with him... Children are a Blessing from God!!!

Blessing~

J & J

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Guys...good to hear the updates. What an amazing experience you both must be having! The bonding time with your son sounds like it is going great and he is really warming up, it must be so strange for him to try to figure out what is going on. God has been good to you both and to your new son in bringing you together. What a blessing to him to have you for parents and three sibilings waiting for him back home. I will keep you all in my prayers. Love ya, Toni

JessG said...

I love to read about the culture and life over there that you are experiencing. Very interesting how different things are - and yet some seem similar too. Have a blessed day! Jess Gonyou :-)

JD's Blog said...

Hello Jay and Jen...you have a done a fantastic job establishing this blog...very interesting to read of your encounters and most interested to see your pictures that you will post in the future of your son...I voted for Quentin, although I observed that Samuel is in the lead...the only label from your food picture that I recognized was 7Up, although oatmeal and apples sounds like a good staple to get you going in the morning...take care and enjoy the time God has prepared for you on your walk of faith...I look forward to reading more of your blogging...John

Unknown said...

I am happy to hear that he is bonding with you so well. I can't wait to hear his name. I voted for Asher. Although since I have had a sneak peak, I think I would change it to Quetin. Either way I can't wait to meet the little guy. I am sure Ellie will be excited to have a playmate that is her age. May God continue to bless your journey! Love, Heather